You are in:

  • Home
  • Scheme of Members’ expenses

Warning: This is archived material and may be out of date. The Metropolitan Police Authority has been replaced by the Mayor's Office for Policing and Crime (MOPC).

See the MOPC website for further information.

Scheme of expenses to be paid to Members

In addition to the Basic and Special Responsibility Allowances Scheme, all MPA members can claim actual expenses incurred whilst on Authority business. These are listed below (as approved by the full Authority on 30 January 2003).

It is important that all members submit claims on a regular basis. As agreed by the Authority in January 2004, no claims older than three months will be accepted. At the end of the financial year claims relating to that year must be submitted by 30 April. The Chief Executive may waive this requirement in exceptional and individual circumstances.

All expense claims must be supported by receipts and sufficient details of the expense incurred and the reason for it, otherwise it will not be possible to pay the claim. If claiming travel expenses, please state where the journey started and finished.

Travel expenses

Public transport and taxis

Members should use public transport wherever possible and are expected to keep the use of taxis to a minimum. On some occasions taxi use is acceptable:

  • when it is unreasonable or impractical to use public transport
  • when members share a taxi, making it as economic as public transport
  • late at night (after 9 p.m.) if personal safety is of concern
  • when carrying heavy equipment or files or sensitive information

Where possible, members should anticipate the need for a taxi and contact Members Services so that it can be booked through the MPA account. Receipts must be provided for taxi use unless booked on the MPA account. As it is the most expensive form of transport, the use of taxis will be monitored.

Rail travel

If travelling by rail, members are entitled to travel first class if the journey exceeds 70 miles. For shorter journeys members should travel standard class.

Air travel

If travelling by air, economy class should be used, unless other issues are involved such as health. A decision on any variation to the use of economy class must be made by the Chief Executive. All flights will be arranged by Members Services.

Motor vehicle

The rates are, for all car sizes:

  • up to 10,000 miles – 40 pence a mile
  • over 10,000 miles - 25 pence a mile

Bicycle rates

  • 7 pence a mile

The Authority will not meet the cost of the congestion charge or parking charges within the congestion charging zone. Parking charges outside the zone may be claimed.

Hotel accommodation

If overnight hotel accommodation is necessary, the booking will be made by Members Services to ensure best value for money. Extras such as laundry, room service, alcoholic drinks, videos, newspapers etc cannot be claimed.

Subsistence rates (unless meal costs are included in the hotel accommodation costs)

  • Day (up to 12 hours) £10
  • Day (over 12 hours/less than 24 hours) £20
  • Overnight (24 hours) £30

Meals on trains

Actual receipted expenditure. The Authority will not meet the cost of alcoholic drinks.

Business telephone calls

Members who have not been issued with an MPA mobile phone may claim expenses of up to £50 per month for business calls on their personal mobiles phones or £30 towards the cost of their landline phone.

Alternatively, where an MPA mobile phone has been issued the Authority will pay the bill direct but the member is not expected to exceed £50 per month on business calls. Where the bill exceeds £50 the member will be asked to identify all personal calls made so that s/he can be invoiced for these.

This is not an allowance and members should only claim for business calls made in the course of their Authority business.


Members with MPA laptops can claim business internet use but their claim must be accompanied by an itemised phone bill.


For Independent Members, the MPA will meet the actual broadband costs at a member’s home up to a maximum of £20 per month.

Business entertaining

As a general rule, given that the Authority has very limited resources, members should not take people out to lunch or dinner and expect to be reimbursed by the Authority. Facilities at Dean Farrar Street should be used wherever possible.

Business entertaining may be appropriate when:

  • the members' role requires it
  • a member is hosting a visit from overseas
  • there is a good reason for using a restaurant or other facilities

Members must be able to demonstrate:

  • that the purpose of the meeting is MPA business and not social; and
  • a reasonably priced location has been chosen

The prior approval of the Chief Executive or Treasurer must be obtained. For any claims members will be asked to supply:

  • the name and organisation of the recipient(s)
  • the purpose of the business entertaining

Carers’ allowances

Any member who is required to pay a carer in order to attend MPA meetings etc may claim a carer’s allowance, subject to the following conditions:

  • the maximum allowance payable is £6 per hour
  • payment can be claimed in respect of children aged 16 or under and in respect of other dependants where there is medical or social work evidence that care is required
  • allowances will only be paid for actual expenditure as evidenced by receipts
  • an allowance will not be paid to a member of the claimant’s household
  • there is no ceiling on the total amount that could be claimed by a member in a year, but this position will be reviewed in the light of experience

Facilities offered to Independent Members

Independent Members may be provided with the following facilities to enable them to carry out their MPA duties:

  • an MPA-provided mobile phone or a Blackberry handheld device.
  • up to £125 for the purchase of a fax machine, with payment based on proof of purchase
  • an MPA-provided laptop computer and printer
  • up to £150 for the purchase of office equipment, such as a filing cabinet for MPA documents, with payment based on proof of purchase
  • reimbursement for consumables, where not provided by the MPA

Any equipment so provided or purchased will remain the property of the MPA and should only be used for MPA business purposes.

Last updated August 2009

Send an e-mail linking to this page